A melt in your mouth moment on the Murray River Walk can now be savoured at home with this Haloumi & Vegetable Fritter recipe. This is the first official recipe for our Recipes from the Trails series, this time from ‘the river’.
HALOUMI & VEGETABLE FRITTERS
(Gluten Free & Vegetarian)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 bag of kale roughly chopped
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1 cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 – 2 zucchinis (courgettes), grated
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 block of haloumi, grated
- Melt the butter in a fry pan
- Add the kate and gently sweat for 2-3 minute stirring often, until wilted. Allow to cool.
- Into a large bowl, grate the haloumi and zucchini
- Add the diced capsicum, sliced spring onion and cooled kale
- Mix in the eggs, flour, baking powder and seasonings until just combined.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed – rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Heat BBQ or fry pan with oil, and pour dollops of batter onto pan. Cook over medium heat until they’re golden brown – approx 3-4 minutes on both sides.
- Serve warm with your choice of relish – Murray River Walk serves them with Tuckeroo Bush Tomato Relish
If this recipe has your mouth watering for more – stay tuned for our next edition with our second series of Recipes from the Trail or find out more about The Murray River Walk here.