Departing daily from October to May, the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk is a four-day walk experience by Tasmanian Walking Company. Led by well-informed guides, small groups of no more than ten walkers explore both the fascinating beach environment and the rich diversity of the nearby woodlands.
This coastal stretch of azure water and rocky headlands, with boulders dotted offshore, appears as if untouched for thousands of years and offers a remote landscape with something for everyone to discover.
The first night is spent at Forester Beach Camp, a private haven nestled in a protected dune swale behind a stretch of clean, white-sand beach. The camp features twin-share rooms with timber floors, canvas roofs, and full kitchen facilities.
The second and third nights’ are at the multi-award winning Bay of Fires Lodge. Set 40m above the beach, this eco-conscious building is an architectural feat comprising two long timber and glass pavilions, and an open living area complete with fireplace and private twin-share bedrooms. All meals are provided for the duration of the walk, using only the finest Tasmanian local produce: freshly baked bread, fresh fruit salad, cereals, and a cooked breakfast in the morning, and gourmet dinners complete with world-class Tasmanian wines.
Bay of Fires Lodge Spa
The Bay of Fires Lodge Spa is inspired by the revival of indigenous healing practices that have their roots in the Aboriginal Dreamtime. Treatments harness the restorative, clarifying and invigorating properties of Australia’s native botanicals through the use of skincare creator Li’Tya, a unique range of natural spa care treatments that integrate the precious qualities of the Australian earth and spirit with the wisdom of ancient Aboriginal medicines, spirituality and healing modalities.
In this pristine and sensitive environment, the spa offers an exquisite outdoor bathing pavilion; treatment rooms; breathtaking views from the outdoor deck and indoor lounge; extensive wellness library and a small boutique. The perfect place to rest and relax after walking to the lodge.
Committed to the Environment
The basic principles of sustainability – protecting the present for the future by maintaining bio-diversity, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting place – have been wholeheartedly embraced in the construction of Forester Beach Camp and the Bay of Fires Lodge. From the siting of the buildings and the form of their design, to the selection of building materials and the management of the construction process, our single focus has been on protecting the landscape and connecting to it.
The lodge itself was gently placed in the landscape to create minimal disturbance while maximising the visual connection with the surrounding vegetation and the ocean beyond.
- Accessed via Launceston, TAS
- Duration: 4 days / 3 nights
- Distance: 33km
- Grade: Moderate
- Walk operates: October - May
- Mainly beaches and sand walking + bush trails
- Group size: Max 10
- Rates: From AUD $2,420
- Stay in the prime location for exploring surrounding beaches at Forester Beach Camp.
- Walk along pristine, white sand beaches on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk in Tasmania.
- OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
- On this Great Walk of Australia in Tasmania, walk along beautiful, pristine beaches.
- Experience ocean views on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk with Great Walks of Australia.
- Bathe in your private outdoor bathtub and enjoy ocean views from the Bay of Fires Lodge.
- Enjoy secluded beaches along the Bay of Fires Coastline.
- Soak your feet in relaxing footbaths at the Bay of Fires Lodge Spa in Tasmania.
- Kayak down the Ansons River in Tasmania with Great Walks of Australia.
- Enjoy kayaking down the Ansons River in Tasmania on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk.
- Stay in luxury accommodation for two nights on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk in Tasmania.
- Relax with our Signature Bath Experience at the Bay of Fires Lodge, Tasmania.
- Stay in luxury accommodation at the Bay of Fires Lodge in Tasmania, overlooking the stunning coastline.
- Spend the first evening at Forester Beach Camp on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk in Tasmania.
- Explore the Bay of Fires Coastline with Great Walks of Australia.
- Experience comfort after your day on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk in Tasmania.
- On this Great Walk of Australia, enjoy a range of treatments at the Bay of Fires Lodge Spa.
- Discover the unique colours of the Australian coastline on the Bay of Fires Lodge Walk.
“A wonderful palette of colour and natural beauty as you stroll along with your companions and guides, with no other human beings in sight! Our guides, Joel & Nicky were exceptional - providing insight and humour along the way.”LAURETTA & JOEL, HAPPY WALKERS.
This graph loosely depicts the gradient of the track, providing you with some basic understanding of how challenging the walk will be. The graphs are useful in helping you decide which walk suits you best. Whatever your ability or fitness, there’s sure to be a walk that suits in the Great Walks of Australia collection.
* Elevations are indicative only and are not to scale. Walkers should contact individual walk companies to better understand the terrain and difficulty of each walk.
- Day One Launceston to Mt William National Park Journey to Mt William National Park, enjoy views of the Furneaux Group of Bass Strait Islands and spend the evening at Forester Beach Camp.
- Day Two Exploring the Bay of Fires Coastline Walk along ridgelines of sand-dunes, look out across the heathlands, and lunch at the coves sheltered behind the dunes near Eddystone Point Lighthouse. Sleep soundly at the Bay of Fires Lodge.
- Day Three Kayaking and enjoying the area Kayak down the Ansons River and experience the diverse ecology of the river, cross the bird-rich waters of Ansons Bay, and walk over the dunes of Abbotsbury Peninsula.
- Day Four Return to Launceston rejuvenated Walk through eucalypt forests and coastal heathen before returning to Launceston.